Welcome to Second Grade at Brandon Academy. This class continues to enhance the skills covered in the areas of reading, math, writing/spelling, science, and social studies. In addition to these core subjects, students take music, art, computer and physical education. Please see below for more information about each core subject
Reading - Students in 2nd grade reading continue to develop their fluency skills and reading strategies to independently comprehend age-appropriate reading materials.
- Students are able to identify important ideas, sequence events in a story, and make predictions
- Students can create summaries based on what they have read, with help
- Students should be reading beginning chapter books
- Students can read grade level text with accuracy and appropriate pace
- Students continue to build on comprehension skills and are beginning to apply those skills to independent reading
- Students are able to draw conclusions from reading material. (Synthesizing and summarizing fiction and non-fiction text)
- Students can apply reading comprehension skills in student led reading group
- Identifying and defining important vocabulary words
- Finding main ideas and supporting details
- Making connections to their selves, the world and other texts
- Student can read chapter books above grade level with appropriate pace, accuracy and expression.
Language Arts - Students will experience a variety of styles of writing and further develop their writing pieces by focusing on adding more details.
- Students are able to follow the steps of the writing process, including planning, drafting, revising, editing and publishing.
- Students can write 5-6 sentences on topic.
- Students are able to uses correct capitalization, punctuation and conventional spelling in various forms of writing
- Students are able to develop a beginning, middle and end in a writing piece.
- Students can add more elaborate details in their writing.
- Students begin to learn cursive writing
- Writing becomes more descriptive and complex.
- Students are able to write 3 or more paragraphs on topic.
Math - Students in 2nd grade math will develop a strong multiplication foundation, and continue to develop number sense, including place value to the hundred thousands, and build on addition and subtraction skills. Second grade students work a grade level ahead in a 3rd grade math book.
- Add and subtract one and two digit numbers, with regrouping
- Add three digit numbers, with regrouping
- Tell time to the hour and half hour
- Count money using pennies, nickels, dimes, quarters, half-dollars, and dollars
- Understand place value, including ones, tens and hundreds place
- Can read and interpret bar graphs, pictographs, and tally charts
- Subtract three digit numbers, with regrouping
- Tell time to the minute
- Graphs- bar, pictograph, line plot and tally chart
- Place value to hundred-thousands
- Understands how to use repeated addition to multiply
- Can explain verbally how to solve problems
- Can do single digit multiplication
- Understand division by separating objects into equal groups
- Begin to understand multiple- digit multiplication
Social Studies - Students explore concepts of culture and community in 2nd grade social studies.
- Communities and Maps
- Native Americans, Columbus and Pilgrims
- Holidays around the World (focus on Christmas and Kwanzaa)
- States and Capitals
- Influential People
Science - In 2nd grade science, students will explore a variety of topics through experiments, discussion, field trips and projects.
- Pollution and Weather
- Plants and Animals
- Sounds and Magnets
- Ocean Life